Thursday, February 28, 2008

Loose Change Solutions!

E-mail readers, click on "Loose Change Solutions!" title above for full story.

This may just be for the male readership, but if you are like me, you never pay for anything with coins. Loose change finds its way into my pockets, and then into a big bowl when I empty them out. In the old days, I could go through the trouble of wrapping them, but I don't have a bank here to accept them. So, usually I wind up with an excuse to go to Vegas and play the quarter slots, but more often than not, that yields a poor return on my investment!

Supermarkets have those Coinstar counting machines, but I could never stomach the idea of them skimming almost 9% off the top of what I put in, just for the privilege of their counting the coins for me. However, I just learned that they now will count the coins for free if you get the proceeds issued as a gift card or e-certificate, good for purchases at amazon.com, iTunes and elsewhere - even Starbucks. I certainly buy enough books and music to make this worthwhile; just think, I can turn that loose change into a latte without having to give the barista 300 pennies.

The closest machine to us with this feature is Albertson's at Bolsa Chica and Heil.

This has been a public service from The Bridge.

Return to The Bridge home page.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Todd, Like you I keep throwing all my coins into a jar. The best fun I have had with the jar,jars now was last Holloween. We forgot to buy candy so when the Trick or Treaters came, I had them put their hands in the jar and scoop away. It was funny to see how the kids handled the situation. Bob G.

VickiD said...

Hi Todd,

Cool! I love that idea. Thanks for sharing it. We have a huge water bottle full of loose change!
Vicki D.

BarbraSue said...

Hi Todd,


Great information....

Finally, now I know what to do with Mel's loose change that consumes way too much space!

He loves to read, so Amazon.com & Alberton's, here we come!

After Mel read your article,
I suppose I better leave a few containers of quarters out for his visits to Aqua Caliente, like twice a year.

Love these tid bits.
Keep sharing with us.

Thank you, Todd

BarbraSue

Unknown said...

Hi Todd,
At our Credit Union they have a machine that counts change and there is a fee for this. But we found that if we opened an account for a minor (our grandaughter) and the money went into that account there is no fee. So we started her college fund.