Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Trader Joe's Rumor

E-mail readers, click on "The Trader Joe's Rumor" title above for more info.

Most of you know by now that Ralph's at the Huntington Harbour mall is closing. For several weeks now, I've heard rumors that Trader Joe's would come in there.

I would LOVE to see TJ's go there. I shop almost exclusively there and can't imagine what I'd do without one. How great it would be to have one in our neighborhood!

I've asked around at the Five Points location and at one near my work, and it doesn't seem that anyone at Trader Joe's can confirm their interest. So it sounds like at this point it's just wishful thinking. The OC Register tells us that Fresh 'N' Easy has looked into the space. However, I also understand that Fresh 'N' Easy isn't doing as well as anticipated. Doesn't seem like they'd continue to open new stores as quickly.

In any case, resident BarbraSue Miller makes a great suggestion - you can contact Trader Joe's if you'd like to see them open a location there. It certainly doesn't hurt to let them know that they've got people who are ready to shop there!

Other fun Trader Joe's sites:

What have you heard? Share your Trader Joe's rumors in the comments.

UPDATE 5:57PM - VickiD reports the following:

Anyway, regarding the Trader Joe's rumor, I was told by two different checkers at little Ralphs that Fresh 'n Easy is going in there, and Tom was told the same thing by a third checker. One of them said that Trader Joe's had also put in a bid for the location, but was outbid by Fresh 'n Easy.
Apparently, Ralph's lease expired and the property owner raised the rent too high for Ralph's to stay there, which is why the location became available.
So this is what I have been told--I would be ecstactic if TJ's went in there, but Fresh 'n Easy is supposed to be a good store too, sort of a mix between TJ's and Whole Food's, so I've read. My sister shops at one in the Whittier area and really likes it.

And Todd then adds:

As to Fresh & Easy, I wonder if they'll really be able to make it. I was hopeful when I heard about the concept, but my first experience didn't live up to expectations. The LA Times recently reported that I'm not alone in my impression. We shall see.

Return to The Bridge home page.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Some months ago I was talking with one of the "managers" at Trader Joe's Five Points Location.....He asked me where I lived and said TJ's has been getting a lot of requests to open up a store in HH...but it did not look as though upper management was interested, since we have two locations that are relatively close to us....I am with Barbara on this one.....let's telephone and send emails....it just might work.....Jean

BarbraSue said...

I talked with the Fresh N Easy people and they said they did not get the bid & the lease was just too high...

There is flyer circulating around the Harbour pushing for TJ's with the information I sent you to re: contacting TJ's.

The leases are exceptionaly high in the HH Mall. TJ's can afford it!!!

Let's keep sending the location requests in. I love my TJ's!
We can make this happen...